teaching sewing confidence, tip by tip

Tuesday 19 August 2014

Fabric Cut Out Art - NYC Metro MQG Bee Block June 2014


The start of another year for my NYC Metro Mod Quilt Guild Bee - we took a break for May then in June Queen Bee Earamichia started us off again for another round with a couple of new Bees on board.

Our packages included a square of charcoal grey solid cotton and some black Misty Fuse.  Queen Bee E asked us to create a Fabric Cut Out Art Block based on Silhouettes and Scratch Art - remember when you were young and you'd colour a rainbow with crayons then cover the whole piece with thick black crayon then scratch away a picture into the black crayon to reveal the rainbow of colour beneath? - I loved doing that.


I quickly set about fusing the Misty Fuse to the back of the charcoal grey solid and then I thought and thought about what design to make.  In fact, in between my travels I've thought about this block for 2 months and finally settled on my design this week. 

If you haven't used Misty Fuse before you might want to read this helpful Tip Sheet written by artist/author/teacher Sue Bleiweiss, she's got some great Misty Fuse project tutes here on her blog too.


I cut the solid down to a 10" square and sketched out this peacock feather using white chalk.


I carefully cut out the feather and border design.


Here's strips of 'peacock' colours I pulled from my scrap boxes.


Queen Bee E asked us to create a background block that's 3" on all sides larger than the cut out block so I cut out a 16" square of paper and starting sewing the strips onto it ...


then pressing each strip open ...


and cutting away the excess.


 And the finished square looked like this.


Time to place the Feather and Frame on the block, Misty Fuse side down. I marked 3" in from each block edge and lined the frame edges up with it then ironed to fuse the pieces together and fix the design in place.


The finished block from the left ...


and the right ...



I'm really pleased with the finished block though I'm intrigued as to how Queen Bee E is going to quilt all the blocks and hold the fused designs permanently in place. As and when I find out I'll let you know!


As always you can check out all the blocks that our Bee make for E on my Quilty - Fabric Cut Out Art Block Pinterest Board - I'll add more pins as each person in the Bee posts photos of their finished blocks and you can see my NYC Mod Quilt Guild Post here too.


And you can click this link to see all of my NYC Mod Quilt Guild Bee Blocks and Challenge Blocks/Quilts.





 
Follow on Bloglovin
 


21 comments:

  1. Absolutely beautiful. The colors are so striking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! I'm really curious how it will be quilted!
    I'm very glad I discovered your blog! I will follow you by email.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm curious too as to how it will be quilted Mihaela, there's a lot of raw edges I'd want to catch down personally even if they are currently held with Mistyfuse. I have no idea how Queen Bee E will do it! Thanks for dropping by and for the follow :D

      Delete
  3. Wow so stunning. I look forward to see what happens next.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your gorgeous block will be great in a quilt, but I could see this as framed art on the wall ... nicely done!
    Jane @ Handiworking.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was a hard one to hand over Jane, I'd love to have kept it and framed it just as you say :D

      Delete
  5. Way cool! Turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great block Chris - I am intrigued to see more and how it is all going to turn out. xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fabulous project! I love what you've done with this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I used to love doing that with my crayons! My mother hated it, though, because of the mess it made :) This is a very pretty block. Nice job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, didn't it just - I loved it too but it made my arm ache putting the black crayon layer over the colours! :D

      Delete
  9. Really great block. I like the multicolored background.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your color selection. Very creative idea. Pinned!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your block is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. How neat Chrissie! I love cutout work and your background adds so much!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, thanks fro sharing this beautiful block on Fabulous Friday.. you are trully talented quilter. Hugs Maria

    ReplyDelete
  14. It was worth all that thinking. Beautiful block! Compliments and love from Amsterdam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Maartje, it was such a fun make and hard to hand over to the Queen Bee when finished! - Chris :D

      Delete
  15. That has lovely impact, really like the background strips for it too!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from everyone, thank you for taking the time to read my blog and share your thoughts. Please leave a message to let me know you visited, it's a great way to get to know you all better too :)

Chris Dodsley


Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.